[nycbug-talk] PCMCIA wireless card source?

Michael Shalayeff mickey
Fri May 13 15:38:25 EDT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Jay Savage:
> On 5/13/05, Tom Derylo <bbong718 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have an old (PII/333) thinkpad that boots FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and
> > > SuSE.  I'm trying to find a supported wireless card for it, but
> > > everything I'm seeing in the stores is CardBus.  Does anyone know of
> > > someplace local I can find some a Type II b/g card that's upported
> > > under at least one of the OSes?  Next step is on line, but I'd rather
> > > just grab it on lunch sometime if I can.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently had some woes with my Toshiba Tecra 802.11b/g PCMCIA Card on FreeBSD
> > and with sound too, but got it to work with ndis driver, using Windows
> > Drivers really cool
> > if you ask me, you should try to get it working that way.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
> >
> > If you need futher help on getting this to work, let me know, took me
> > a while to figure
> > it out too, and get the right .INF and .SYS Files from Windows. I have
> > the LinkSYS Wireless-G WPC54G ver.4 Adapter.
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > //tom
>
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I'm sure it'll come in handy later.  But the
> issue right now isn't finding a driver for a card I have, or trying to
> get ndis going--let's hope it doesn't come to that.  My issue at the
> moment is that I have an old machine with a 16-bit PCMCIA interface,
> and all I can find in the stores are 32-bit CardBus cards.  I was
> hoping someone on this list might know someplace local (preferrable
> Manhattan) that still stocks Type II cards.

i just figured out...
i have a 3com (i think prism-based) i'm not using
and bought in a kit w/ pci adaptor and another
antena-less card. so i'll try if it works then it's
yours for a nominal beer charge (:

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)