[nycbug-talk] spamd

michael lists
Fri May 20 10:20:47 EDT 2005

Before I post to misc, I wanted to check with NYCBUG.

I am updating a mail gateway that runs with tools added to fight spam:
amavisd-clamav-spamassassin-etc. I have been pretty satisfied with the
results.  Now, I am going to add spamd(8) to the mix and wanted
opinions.  Do I really need to run all that extra stuff?

I know "more layers" is "more protection" but that is a LOT of perl
modules.  This would also require a lot of extra packages, some are
required to be built from source due to licencing issues.  All that
would have to be maintained...

That extra stuff also means extra cycles and extra time during EVERY
SMTP conversation; ultimately slowing down the gateway.

I suppose I could just do spamd and measure the results myself, but I
was wondering if someone else has been there / done that.

Thoughts?
Michael

--
---