[nycbug-talk] spamd

pete wright nomadlogic
Fri May 20 13:48:19 EDT 2005

On 5/20/05, michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
> Before I post to misc, I wanted to check with NYCBUG.
>
> I am updating a mail gateway that runs with tools added to fight spam:
> amavisd-clamav-spamassassin-etc. I have been pretty satisfied with the
> results.  Now, I am going to add spamd(8) to the mix and wanted
> opinions.  Do I really need to run all that extra stuff?
>
> I know "more layers" is "more protection" but that is a LOT of perl
> modules.  This would also require a lot of extra packages, some are
> required to be built from source due to licencing issues.  All that
> would have to be maintained...
>
> That extra stuff also means extra cycles and extra time during EVERY
> SMTP conversation; ultimately slowing down the gateway.
>
> I suppose I could just do spamd and measure the results myself, but I
> was wondering if someone else has been there / done that.
>
> Thoughts?
> Michael

As an aside michael,
    if you run the other spamd (spam assassin's daemonized version)
this may help you with the overall load of running the perl scripts.
While it takes a different approach than OBSD's spamd, they may work
together nicely.  And because it is loaded as a daemon, and apperently
is more efficient in filtering under load from what i have read, it
may allow to run both options without too much perfomance degradation.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright