[nycbug-talk] interesting read

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Sat May 21 13:33:57 EDT 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:

> I'd Absolutely trust Open Source software over proprietary counterparts,
> especially if it came out of the BSD camps where software is taken this
> seriously in contexts like this.
>
> (i.e. thinking about it, I'd generally not trust my life to any Linux,
> or about 90% of the software in the world- open or closed)
>
> I'll be sending flames to /dev/null on that one.
Okay. Let's have more concrete example here - for example, software
controlling an implantable pacemaker. What is the benefit for you, the
user, of the fact that you get the compilable source with the pacemaker?

> Just food for thought here- but with regard to trusting one's life to
> open source software, where'd OpenSSH come from, and what implications
> does *it* have with regard to human life?
What does openssh have to do life-critical applications? Despite what you
think, nobody's going to die if your password gets stolen.

-alex