[nycbug-talk] interesting read

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Sat May 21 14:28:17 EDT 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> >> Let's keep in mind that the trustworthiness of a life-critical
> >> application has everything to do with how that program was written
> >> and absolutely nothing to do with the license under which it was
> >> released.
> >>
> > Okay. Back to original question. What is the benefit for you to be
> > able to recompile source code for your pacemaker?
>
> Independent audits.
Orthogonal to open source.

Remind you - there's lots of software that comes with source (heck, even
Windows, if you pay enough) - that doesn't mean it is open source.

I think I wasn't precise enough in previous question: "What is the benefit
for you to be able to recompile *and* redistribute source code for your
pacemaker?".

-alex