[nycbug-talk] Re: [BSDCert] www.bsdcertification.org seems to be down

George Georgalis george
Thu May 26 08:59:04 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 08:40:31AM -0400, Dru wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2005, Siju George wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>http://www.bsdcertification.org
>>
>>seems to be down on 25th May 2005, 11:40 am IST
>

>It appears our provider experienced some outages yesterday. We're
>working on creating more redundancy.
>
>Thanks for letting us know.

Well this brings to mind an idea of one of my clients. It sounds a bit
kooky but I cannot think of a good reason not to do it, other than a
little trickier to setup. You could call it a poor man's BGP.

Have two ISPs and subnets; make a common physical DMZ. Use a single
server (or redundant as needed) with an ip alias for each subnet. For
name resolution, use two resolvers, one on each subnet and have them
serve the IPs of the subnet they are on.

So, if one ISP fails, the only clients trying to connect to it are the
ones who have cached the failed IP -- which is an issue, but can be
mitigated with a lower ttl.

The window of benefit is for new connections at a bad time, and old
clients whose ttl expires while one of the ISPs has gone down.

So... what's wrong with this setup? other than 2x the likelihood of an
admin making a dns error. ;-)

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org