[nycbug-talk] abusing a server

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri May 27 00:32:56 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to turn loose my first FreeBSD 5.4 server, and not
having used 5.anything in production yet, I'm a bit nervous.

I'd like to try and simulate some worst case scenarios inside one of the
jails.  I'm still not certain exactly what all the services offered will
be, but at a minimum I'm looking at apache+php, various bits of blog
software and shell users that tend to not do much beyond read mail in pine
and edit their ~user homepages.

Any ideas on how I can simulate around 50 logged-in users and a worst-case
flood of web traffic to a php-heavy blog?  I really want to pummel this
thing.  If it falls over, all the better as then I'll have something to
look at.  What are the weak spots?  The whole mess is jailed, and I'm
making heavy use of login.conf for the shell people so that they can't
fork-bomb or try to suck up more memory than they should.  I think I'm
most interested in doing some very long-running tests...

So far I'm just fiddling with some shell scripts to simulate users futzing
around and hitting apache with http_load.  So far I'm having more success
in breaking http_load than anything else.

Thanks,

Charles

___
Charles Sprickman