[nycbug-talk] fbsd orb?

Mikel King mikel.king
Wed Nov 2 09:33:26 EST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:16 AM, csnyder wrote:

> On 11/1/05, Matthew Terenzio <matt at jobsforge.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm almost scared to ask as if someone told a joke and I'm the
>> only one
>> who didn't get it.
>> But what is that new logo? I see they are horns I guess on an orb.
>>
>> http://logo-contest.freebsd.org./result/640-1.png
>
> In design theory, abstraction provides an avenue for people to map
> their own ideas and preferences onto a logo. Too much detail, and they
> will find something to object to. But give them a smooth surface, and
> they can see anything they're looking for.
>
> The orb is a simple, clean logo, very much in keeping with
> straightforwardness of the OS. It has a playful side, but the level of
> abstraction will allow pinhead CEOs to see elements of Apple where you
> or I see elements of Beastie.
>
> I love that it's transparent -- open, one might say -- and that you
> can see that there is a system within the system (the orb within the
> orb: the kernel, perhaps? or a shell?). The horns appear through two
> open ports, a metaphor that any of us will understand.
>
> I'm sure this logo is controversial within the community of core
> users, engineers who have a well-deserved distrust of marketing and
> visual slickness. But FreeBSD is a great product. The orb speaks to
> that on many levels, without being overly corporate or completely
> abstract. The designer has done a remarkable job.
>

> --
> Chris Snyder
> http://chxo.com/

Ok not to waste much more bandwidth here but I agree for my purposes
the logo is unimportant. Still the same great bsd inside. On the
other hand some of what Chris says here makes sense, one would almost
think he designed it himself...;-)

Maybe though it will make it easier to convince the pinheads to adopt
bsd over something else. Sad as that sounds I guess it's a positive.

In either case it's something to drink to...

Cheers,
Mikel King
CIO, Director of Network Operations
Optimized Computer Solutions, INC
Tech Alliance, INC
39 West Fourteenth Street
Second Floor
New York, NY 10011
http://www.ocsny.com
http://www.techally.com
t: 212.727.2100x132
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.