[nycbug-talk] iso image

Ray Lai nycbug
Wed Nov 2 10:52:43 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 11:12:12AM -0500, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Tue 2005.11.01 at 11:07 -0500, michael wrote:
> > I have downloaded iso's to my harddrive and created hardcopy CD's
> > countless times.  But, how do I do the reverse on OpenBSD?  How do I
> > create an iso image on disk from a CD I already have?
>
> dd(1)

It's more complicated than that.  I believe you have to do:

	$ sudo dd if=/dev/rcd0c bs=2048 > cd.iso

Using rcd instead of cd makes it go a lot faster.  bs=2048 for some
reason is necessary, otherwise it never stops.

This is from memory, though.  I think this should work; if not, try
doing:

	$ sudo disklabel cd0 | grep 'total sectors: ' | awk '{print $3}'

to find out the total number of sectors and feeding it to dd, like:

	$ sudo dd if=/dev/rcd0c bs=2048 count=$(command from above) > cd.iso

Last time I tried, I don't think the sector count step was necessary.

I hope this helps.

-Ray-

p.s. What's it like on other BSDs and Linux?