Solved Re: [nycbug-talk] broke bootblocks

George Georgalis george
Thu Nov 3 10:41:40 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:28:32PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>I have a hosed system.
>
>It has FreeBSD, WinXP and NetBSD on slice 1, 2 and 3; plus
>Linux on some extended partitions. The last OS I installed
>was WinXP. I don't really care about the Linux install,
>but I'd like to get this thing booting slice 1, 2 or 3.
>
>I tried "fdisk -B wd0" so I could boot into the other non XP
>slices, but it only sees Linux as bootable, and that doesn't
>work.
>
>Below is the output of netbsd "fdisk wd0 ; disklabel wd0"
>from the netbsd 2.0.2 cd.
>
>How do I boot this thing?

>BTW - I had also tried fdisk -i but still, fdisk -B says...

The solution was to run "fdisk -iu" and edit each
slice, accepting defaults but providing a "bootmenu"
label for each OS.

Go ahead and install the bootcode and write the
partition table.

That's it. Now there is a boot option for each OS.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org