[nycbug-talk] fbsd orb?

Isaac Levy ike
Sat Nov 5 16:08:24 EST 2005

Hi All,

Just thought I'd toss in my .02? on the new FreeBSD logo,

On Nov 2, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Chris Clymer wrote:
>

>> I'm not much of a fan of this myself
>>

> I don't like it. :-(
> haven't seen the alternatives, but the one that won doesn't do it
> for me.

Taste is taste, and this stuff *is* very subjective, in the end, it's
hard to please everybody.

But, I personally like it for the following formal reasons,

+ The new logo leverages the public success of the Firefox/
Thunderbird icons (which got a lot of notable public attention)

+ The new logo, in it's simplest manifestation, is *really* simple-
while still being distinctive

+ The new logo can scale from 16x16px up to gigantic, and still hold
it's essence- it can be round, it can be square, it's a very
versatile form.

+ The new logo can easily integrate into other websites, corporate
brands, etc... without commanding an overage of special attention

+ The new logo is friendly and clean enough to take the place of the
fat penguin, in large (more conservative) environments, and to
decision makers who don't care about the tech, this makes our lives
easier pulling *BSD into any environment (do we want to *work* with
BSD Unix, or just hack it for the love of it on weekends?).

But, with all that, you still either like it, or you don't. :)

--
I did a quickie hack of that competition promo image, and put a
variant up in the corner of a site already, (jumping the gun, I know-

http://diversaform.com/

Rocket-
.ike