[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD or DragonFly

Dan Casey dcasey
Mon Nov 7 09:52:52 EST 2005

I've been a big FreeBSD fan ever since I started using it (version 4.3
was the latest out at the time).  To be completely honest I haven't been
around BSD for a while now because my new job uses Linux.  In the BSD
world, I haven't strayed away from FreeBSD at all.  Now, Ive been
hearing a lot about this DragonFly BSD, which from what I've been told
is supposed to continue on the 4x series of FreeBSD?  Doesn't look like
FreeBSD has discontinued it yet. Holy crap, I just looked at the web
page (which is very different now), to see that FBSD 6 has hit
production!!  I didn't even know it was an idea yet lol.

Anyway it looks like I got more reading to do then I thought...  Long
story short,  I want to add a few servers to my own business (currently
using 1 freebsd5.1).
What are some reasons that one might use DragonFly instead of Free?  Im
doing virtual hosting, so creating virtual environments/jails is going
to be a big consideration.  Or I may even go w/ openbsd... who knows...
Just wanted to see if anyone had any good/bad info on this dragonfly thing.

Sorry for the rambling.