[nycbug-talk] PostgreSQL

Francisco Reyes lists
Mon Nov 21 21:53:10 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, michael wrote:

> I like using postgresql, it has a long development history and lot of
> the qualitites of the commercial databases

And a level of maturity which seems to keep getting better.. It is one
thing to have xyz feature, and another  when the feature has been tested
and improved.

> I made the emotional transistion from mysql to postgresql as an
> opensource database a little while ago.

I have been using PostgreSQL for close to 5 years and recently had to
start using MySQL. I wish best of luck to MySQL users, but I am much
happier using PostgreSQL.. At work, it will take a very long while, but I
am hopefull that I will be able to migrate everything. In particular MySQL
replication seems to be as reliable as using a paper bag to hold water..
:-)

> I even ported the NYCBUG web, it
> will go into production in the next release: NYCBUG-web-2.1 <grin>

Did you port it to 8.0x or to 8.1?
8.1 seems like such a vast improvement over the previous version. I have
gone of the 12 page long list of changes twice and still keep getting
impressed... for my next reading.. plan to mark all the new features I
want to use/learn.

> They have pretty good documentation and an active (and helpful)
> comuunity on the mailing lists.

I love psql. It is a great way to do small tasks and do mini adhoc
queries.