[nycbug-talk] favourite monitoring tools

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue Nov 22 21:17:29 EST 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 5:06 PM, jeffrey.arnold wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, pete wright wrote:
>
> :: On 11/22/05, Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> :: >
> :: > Experiences good/bad with Bigsister, Nagios and Zabbix also
> appreciated.
> :: > The client needs to manage just over 100 systems, a mix of
> routers, switches
> :: > and servers.
> :: >
>
> (snip)
> ::
> :: So, I'd give Nagios a +1 despite the some things I'd like to change
> :: from a configuration management perspective.  It also seems to full
> :: fill all of your prerequisites.
> ::

I'll give another +1 for Nagios.  We've been using it to monitor a
small number of hosts and it works fine.  My biggest complaints are
that the UI is inefficient and ugly, and the configuration language
is one of the worst I've ever dealt with.  It seemed like the least
worst solution when we were looking, though.

You'll almost definitely want to leverage some kind of tool to manage
your configurations.  It's not really feasible to deal with 100+
hosts by hand in Nagios configuration language.

-bob