[nycbug-talk] favourite monitoring tools

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Nov 22 21:38:51 EST 2005

On 11/22/05, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2005, at 5:06 PM, jeffrey.arnold wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, pete wright wrote:
> >
> > :: On 11/22/05, Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > :: >
> > :: > Experiences good/bad with Bigsister, Nagios and Zabbix also
> > appreciated.
> > :: > The client needs to manage just over 100 systems, a mix of
> > routers, switches
> > :: > and servers.
> > :: >
> >
> > (snip)
> > ::
> > :: So, I'd give Nagios a +1 despite the some things I'd like to change
> > :: from a configuration management perspective.  It also seems to full
> > :: fill all of your prerequisites.
> > ::
> >

> I'll give another +1 for Nagios.  We've been using it to monitor a
> small number of hosts and it works fine.  My biggest complaints are
> that the UI is inefficient and ugly, and the configuration language
> is one of the worst I've ever dealt with.  It seemed like the least
> worst solution when we were looking, though.
>
> You'll almost definitely want to leverage some kind of tool to manage
> your configurations.  It's not really feasible to deal with 100+
> hosts by hand in Nagios configuration language.
>
> -bob

Along the lines of using a tool to manage the configs I found that
this seemed the most realistic to use.  It is also a commercial
product as well.  We did not use it, as the work of merging all of our
configuration data into this web ap. seemed to be more work that it
was worth (and I'm not a huge fan of stuff that locks you into a web
only interface).

http://itgroundwork.com/products/gwm-architect.html

-p

--