[nycbug-talk] remote logging

michael lists
Thu Nov 24 09:47:57 EST 2005

I'm trying to forward all logging from a soekris running OpenBSD 3.8 to
a logserver on the local LAN running FreeBSD 6.0.  I can not get it to
work exactly the way I want.  All the soekris logs are writing
to /var/log, not /var/log/soekris.  I can disable the soekris logs
being written to /var/log with a `-soekris`, but first I want them to
show up where they are supposed to.  Can anyone see the mistake I'm
making?

soekris
-------------------
IP=192.168.0.2
syslog.conf =
*.*	@logserver

logserver
-------------------
IP=192.168.0.4
syslog.conf=
+soekris
*.*	/var/log/soekris/log

rc.conf=
syslogd_flags="-a 192.168.0.2 -b 192.168.0.4"

$ ls /var/log/soekris/
total 4
drw-------  2 root  wheel   512B Nov 23 19:47 ./
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel   1.0K Nov 24 03:02 ../
-rw-------  1 root  wheel     0B Nov 24 09:43 log

Once I get this working, I'll work on logging pflog to the logging
server.  This should help preserve the cf card in the soekris.

--

Michael