[nycbug-talk] su -

Kevin Reiter tux
Fri Nov 25 19:14:08 EST 2005

Kevin Reiter wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
>> On a fresh FreeBSD 6.0 install (w/ xorg), I added my local user to
>> wheel.  From another box, I can ssh to the local user then su to root.
>> I can log into the console as the local user and su to root... but when
>> running xorg as a local user, I can NOT su to root in xterm. I turned
>> on pam warnings, but still no clue.  I've google around and can find the
>> problem answered.  Any ideas?
>>
>> I don't normally log in as root.  During the first few days of software
>> installation and configuration, it is just easier.
>

> Just OOC, which shell are you using, or have you tried it using more
> than one shell with the same results?  I ask because I just finished a
> 6.0 install on my new laptop and was working on it for about 16 hours
> straight, doing everything you mentioned, without a hitch.  The only
> thing I do once I reboot after the install is install my bash files [1]
> and haven't had any problems since.
>
> Does anything stand out in /var/log/messages or /var/log/auth?
>
> Can't think of anything else ATM, but I'm due for my hourly caffeine
> injection, which might explain it..
>
> Kev
>
> [1] http://penguinnetwerx.net/bsd/bash_files.tar.gz

I was going to include the contents of the files, but my trigger finger was
quicker than I thought..

Would "unset USERNAME" have any affect on what you're experiencing?

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
export BASH_ENV PATH MAILDIR DEFAULT
unset USERNAME

-----------

# .bashrc

umask 022
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee
export MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man
export PAGER=less
export SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
export
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

# Get my favorite prompt:
PS1="\u@\h [\w]\\$ "
PS2="\u@\h \! "

# Make sure I have a $DISPLAY:
if [ "$DISPLAY" = "" ]; then
   export DISPLAY=:0
fi

# Custom aliases go here:
alias ls='ls -CFG'

--
It said "use Linux 2.4 kernel or better" so I installed FreeBSD.  Now everything
runs better.  Why didn't they just tell me to do that to begin with?