[nycbug-talk] back to network monitoring tools

Dru dlavigne6
Sat Nov 26 13:40:03 EST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, George R. wrote:

> Regarding the earlier discussion about network monitoring. . .
>
> We are moving along with Nagios for our ~60 or so hosts, but to be honest, I
> was initially looking for something a bit less complex.  Maybe even just a
> more sophisticated version of the old Uptime project plus some bells &
> whistles.

>From the list, nagios seems to be the most popular despite the difficult
initial configuration.

> Dru: I really not sure of your needs for monitoring, but sysmon is certainly
> a fun little application for the most basic monitoring.
>
> www.sysmon.org

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm trying nav, and so far the configuration is great. The ports maintainer
wrote an after-install config that magically sets up the environment,
auto-configures Postgresql with the correct tables, creates all necessary
passwords using apg and does an initial cricket config. So far, I've only
had to generate SSL certs for Apache as I wanted protected communications.

Only downside is due to the slow jdk14 build on a fresh system--otherwise
I prob would have finished the entire setup on Friday.

Hope to finish the config on Monday/Tuesday. I'm keeping detailed notes so
will let you guys know if the rest of the configs are as painless. If they
are, will definitely become the next article.

Dru