[nycbug-talk] java/batik problems

Nikolai N. Fetissov nikolai.fetissov
Fri Oct 7 21:24:02 EDT 2005

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, pete wright wrote:
>
>> On 10/7/05, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
>>

>>> http://callflow.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> No jre for 1.3 for 5.x, then the jdk build ate up all my free space, and
>>> now this with "batik". Tried the package as well, but it does not like
>>> the revisions of some of the dependancies.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Looks like an Out Of Memory error...which may be due to some wierness
>> with
>> the JRE. How much RAM is on this guy? Would it be possible to build it on
>> another host with more RAM as a portable package?
>

> It's got 256MB, and it's normally a tertiary desktop.  But X is not
> running at the moment, so most of the memory is unused.
>
> I may be able to dig up another 5.x, but I'm leery about letting the jdk
> install all the crap it needs to build (need linux compat, linux_base,
> OpenMotif, and a whole laundry list of other stuff).  If I could avoid
> that, I'd be happy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles
>
>> -pete

It's not the physical ram, it's the jvm heap size limit.
Dig around ant config to see if you can increase that.
I don't have java on a bsd box, this is under gentoo:

nickf at paris ~ $ /home/SUNWappserver/jdk/bin/java -X
    -Xmixed           mixed mode execution (default)
    -Xint             interpreted mode execution only
    -Xbootclasspath:<directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                      set search path for bootstrap classes and resources
    -Xbootclasspath/a:<directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                      append to end of bootstrap class path
    -Xbootclasspath/p:<directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                      prepend in front of bootstrap class path
    -Xnoclassgc       disable class garbage collection
    -Xincgc           enable incremental garbage collection
    -Xloggc:<file>    log GC status to a file with time stamps
    -Xbatch           disable background compilation
    -Xms<size>        set initial Java heap size
    -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size
    -Xss<size>        set java thread stack size
    -Xprof            output cpu profiling data
    -Xrunhprof[:help]|[:<option>=<value>, ...]
                      perform JVMPI heap, cpu, or monitor profiling
    -Xdebug           enable remote debugging
    -Xfuture          enable strictest checks, anticipating future default
    -Xrs              reduce use of OS signals by Java/VM (see
documentation)
    -Xcheck:jni       perform additional checks for JNI functions

The -X options are non-standard and subject to change without notice.
nickf at paris ~ $

Hope this helps.
--
 nikolai