[nycbug-talk] multiport serial cards

Jonathan Franks jfranks214
Wed Oct 12 18:21:41 EDT 2005

On Oct 12,
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a (FreeBSD) console server that's got two 8-port
> Rocketport cards in it.  I need to ditch these as they have two
> problems:  the driver is kind of flakey and basically abandoned,
> and I'm already three ports short of what I need and we're still
> adding servers.
>
> Stallion looked nice, specifically this setup:
>
> http://www.stallion.com/html/products/easyconnection.html
>
> Density is great, 64 ports per card.  Price is right too.  However
> every retailer has these on backorder, and it seems like the stl
> driver did not make it to 5.x.
>
> This all makes me feel like some old unix nerd.  When I post on the
> FreeBSD lists it's just crickets. :)
>
> Anyone here have recommendations on decent cards that cost less
> than buying a standalone console server?  I'd like a minimum of 32
> ports on a single card...

I've only used Digi portservers (which are pretty cool), but they
also have this:

http://www.digi.com/products/multiportserialcards/acceleportcx.jsp

They start at 1300 and change and go up from there.... but they can
scale to 128 ports on one pci slot. There is also a model that will
go up to 64.

It's just a suggestion, and there are probably people better
qualified to recommend something than I, but your post brought back
memories. I did a stint with a company using Mentor Pro and MvBase on
NT to serve up a business management package that they had written in
Pick/Basic.

On further reflection, I'm glad thats over with :-)

-Jonathan