[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD in NY Times (Friday)

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Sun Oct 23 11:48:06 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 02:16:16PM -0400, Jim Brown wrote:

> Didn't get a chance to write this yesterday, but FreeBSD was mentioned
> in the Times on Friday, Oct, 21.
>
> Thomas Friedman's column 'Chinese Finding Their Voice' mentions how
> voices in China are now finding an expression through a website
> (Toodou.com) with podcasts and blogs.

Oh, neat! I can't read it, but that's a failing on my end ;-)

>   "Almost  all of the software that runs Toodou.com is from free
>   open-source material on the Web: an Apache Web server; FreeBSD, a
>   free Unix operating system; MySQL, a free database system; and PHP,
>   free programming lingo."

This is one of my pet-peeves: LAMP, the acronym that was supposed to
describe this sort of thing, is horribly ill-suited to the task.

L - Linux, or any of the 4 main BSDs, or OpenSolaris, or just about
    anything open source, really.
A - Apache, which luckily enough is usually the case (1.3 versus 2.0
    isn't addressed with "A" however).
M - MySQL. Or Postgres. Or flat-files, if they'll work in this case. Or
    SAPDB, SQLite, BerkeleyDB,  or any of the newer open source databases
    that are coming out.
P - PHP or Perl. Or Ruby-on-rails. Or any of about 10 bazillion other
    open source language options. Heck, Yahoo Stores was written in
    LISP (Paul Grahams writings are well worth the time to read).

*sigh* :-)

> Friedman is a pretty forward looking guy- check out his book - 'The
> World is Flat'  about the changes in business, technology and social
> structures.
>
> Full disclosure- I have no connection to the NY Times or to Thomas
> Friedman; just a fan.

That's one of the books that's sweep through the management ranks at one
of my client sites. I'm going to have to read it sometime, lots of the
folks who have read it are fairly enthusiastic about it.

-T

--
Microsoft would make it a car phone. No, I mean it'd have a car built in.
    -- A.S.R. quote (Joe Moore)