[nycbug-talk] disk monitoring tool port, looks usefull

Ray Lai nycbug
Mon Oct 24 11:09:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:50:21AM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> I just came across this on the web, looks interesting:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/sysutils/smartmontools/pkg-descr

How does this compare to, say (taken from
<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=atactl>):

	# atactl /dev/wd0c smartenable

	Enables the SMART support on /dev/wd0 for detection of early warning
	signs of device failure.

	0 * * * * /sbin/atactl /dev/wd0c smartstatus >/dev/null

	In a crontab(5) entry queries /dev/wd0 each hour for early warning signs
	of failure.  If the device exceeded one of the SMART thresholds, atactl
	will output `SMART threshold exceeded!' to stderr and cron(8) will mail
	it.

Has SMART ever been of use to anyone?  I mean, has anyone actually
received any SMART warnings?  All my hard drives have passed with
flying colors all the time, even questionable ones.

-Ray-