[nycbug-talk] AMD Raid question. . .

Mikel King mikel.king
Mon Oct 24 21:30:56 EDT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 9:23 PM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, George R. wrote:
>

>>> Hint: Most of the "hardware" raid is *not* hardware raid.
>>>
>>> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html
>>>
>>> Controller fired.
>>>

>> . . . aware of the grey area, but. . .
>>
>> then how come i could do raid 1 or 10, or at least it tells me i
>> can. .
>> and these are the boards and controllers that iron systems sells. . .
>>
> You don't really do raid 1 or raid 0 on it either. It is fakeraid -
> software raid implemented by the driver. And it supports "raid 1"
> or "raid
> 0".
>
> just because $vendor sells it, it doesn't mean its proper hardware
> raid.
>
> -alex

Um but doesn't it take software to run hardware. Personally the
distinction is pointless. If the performance and data integrity are
there then it is worth the risk. I personally find for my needs that
the so called hardware raid is better than say windows disk mirroring
of even vinum, as great a product as it is.