[nycbug-talk] off site backup

pete wright nomadlogic
Sun Oct 30 21:58:13 EST 2005

On 10/30/05, alex at pilosoft.com <alex at pilosoft.com> wrote:

> > Multi-tape-drive jukeboxes mitigate this nicely.
> It is however quite unusual to have raid tapes. (i.e. you would need 3
> tape drives, and 2 out of 3 tapes to do restore). I've never heard of
> anyone doing that.

it's actually not that uncommon when dealing with large data sets....

> > > Keep in mind that media for tape (say, ~40$ for LTO 200G) is about 1/4
> > > of cost of similar hard drive media.
> >
> > with transfer rates correspondingly lower :-)
> Eh, I think it's close enough. LTO has 70MB/sec transfer rate. 7200
> RPM drives have ~60MB/s, 10k rpm ~80MB/s

hmmm...LTO2 specs:
http://tinyurl.com/d6h85

Native Burst Transfer Rate	160 MB/sec
Compressed Burst Transfer Rate	320 MB/sec

which I can confirm is pretty much accurate...although our LTO1/2
robots are connected via a fiber SAN so YMMV.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright