[nycbug-talk] openbsd in kernel pppoe stability

pete wright nomadlogic
Thu Sep 1 00:01:24 EDT 2005

On 8/31/05, bruno <bruno at loftmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 06:51:07PM -0700, pete wright wrote:
> > hey all,
> > i've been running my soekris box with openbsd to connect to my dsl
> router
> > (which is in bridged mode) for my main 'net connect. i've been having
> > *serious* connectivity problems, so bad in fact I've got a cron running
> > every five min's to check my pppoe interface. if it's down it bring's it
> > back up (does the whole ppp authentication dance). yuck! i was assuming
> that
> > in kernel pppoe would be better than using a userland implementation.
> i'm
> > hoping that i'm still correct, my first assumption is that covad sucks
> and
> > so does my dsl router. but before i waste a night on the phone with
> covad,
> > has anyone had any stability issues with 3.7 and in kernel pppoe setups?
> i'm
> > using a real vanilia setup...pretty much strait from the man page.
> nothing
> > crazy going on in pf land either...some filtering and redirection.....
>
> Check the misc list, there is a lot of posts about same / similar
> subject, you might find something that you can use there. I've only
> done userland ppp, a while ago, probably before they put pppd into
> kernel, maybe try that one. Unless your email means you already went
> from userland to kernel, in hope it would work better. :) At that
> point, it might indeed be something else, like a crapy dsl bridge.
> Have you tried sniffing the local net, might give some insight.

cool thanks, i'll check the misc archives now.

i tried out userland ppp for a bit when starting things up, i vaugely
remember an issue that made me switch to in kernel pppoe ;) so yea, i guess
i try out the userland method...

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~