[nycbug-talk] large file download via apache

Steve Rieger steve.rieger
Thu Sep 15 20:24:49 EDT 2005

On Sep 14, 2005, at 12:34 PM, pete wright wrote:

> On 9/14/05, Steve Rieger <steve.rieger at tbwachiat.com> wrote:
> hi all on fbsd 5.4 smp
>
> when trying to download a file thats about 1 gig in size the
> connnection gets dropped, no errors in apache other than "Undefinded
> index in filegetter.php "
>
> and this does not happen to files that are even onnly a drop smaller
>
> am assuming that i can change something in the kernel to allow large
> files to be read, if thats the case i printed out my sysctl buffer
> variables.
>

> I'm willing to bet that this is either an issue with the HTTP
> protocol, possibly a tunable in apache or maybe even PHP as your
> error seems to mention a PHP script (I know there is a tunable for
> apache and php script run time, maybe if you are attempting the
> download via a php script apache is killing the connection due to
> this limit.  Just a wild guess though).
>
> To test if this is an OS issue, I would try copying the file via
> other protocols (ftp/ssh/rsync+ssh/etc) and see if the connection
> stalls.
>
> -pete

ok i tested this via all and any other protocol i could and it all
goes through, the error from above is because of the os not letting
apache get a handle on this file because its too large, where would i
start lokking at my sysctl (what parameters) to try to get this working.

NOTE this file is mounted via nfs.

thanx