[nycbug-talk] openbsd -current

Okan Demirmen okan
Sun Sep 25 21:09:05 EDT 2005

On Sun 2005.09.25 at 16:23 -0400, michael wrote:
> I'm trying to track OpenBSD -current.  After rebuilding a few times,

i stick with snapshots - rarely do make build's these days unless i'm
actually testing or doing something(tm).

> I've gotten it down to a short check list.  Am I doing this the
> correct/easiest way?

a few minor comments...

> 1. run 'get_upgrade'
> 	(see below: download bsd.rd and etcXX.tgz and untar,
> 	make pkg_list and delete All pkgs)

see below ....

> 2. reboot and at boot>bsd.rd
> 3. choose (U)pgrade
> 4. at [sets], choose FTP, and at prompts..
> 5. 'ftp2.usa.openbsd.org','pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386
> 6. 'Congratulations..', reboot to new kernel
> 7. mergemaster -r -t /root/upgrade/etc/

you can also do this while in the ramdisk kernel:

once the shell is returned to you:
 /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt
 TERM=vt220 /usr/local/sbin/mergemaster -r -t /root/upgrade/etc
 exit
 reboot

the TERM needs to be set for gdiff3(1).

this way, the off chance that you need to reboot again is gone, due to
start-up changes and whatnot.

> 8. put back all known packages
> 	pkg_add `cat /root/upgrade/pkg_list`
> 	(this breaks when there is an updated pkg version)

not quite - see below ...

> 9. reboot to fresh current
>
> ->cat bin/get_upgrade
> 	#!/usr/local/bin/bash

#!/bin/sh

> 	################################
> 	# Prepare to run (U)pgrade
> 	# directory /root/upgrade already exists.
> 	################################
>
> 	# fetch new bsd.rd
> 	################################
> 	cd /root/upgrade
> 	ftp ftp://ftp2.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/bsd.rd
> 	cp /root/upgrade/bsd.rd /bsd.rd
>
> 	# fetch new etcXX.tgz
> 	################################
> 	cd /root/upgrade
> 	mkdir etc
> 	cd /root/upgrade/etc

no need to cd

> 	ftp ftp://ftp2.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/etc*.tgz
> 	tar -xzf etc38.tgz

tar zxvhpf etc38.tgz -C /root/upgrade/etc

(-p is the important one.)

> 	# make pkg_list and delete ALL
> 	################################
> 	pkg_info | awk '{print $1}' > /root/upgrade/pkg_list
> 	pkg_delete -q /var/db/pkg/*

no need. once you've booted into the new environment:

pkg_add -u

(if you are < sept 4th (-u will print you one command to update all the
packages - cut-n-paste....if you are running anything past sept 4th, -u
will do it for you.)

now for the daring, and *unsupported* way, you can do in place snapshot
updates as well....so as not to complete encourage it, see the
install/upgrade script to see how it is done directly within the ramdisk
(hint: 2-4 line script snippet). warning, this is not offically
supported, for something sometimes need to be in addition, such as
running MAKEDEV and such, which the ramdisk-based upgrade does for
you/etc/etc/etc.....but for the daring and willing...

okan