[nycbug-talk] Unable to allocate 577925121 bytes

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Sep 27 11:50:27 EDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Steve Rieger <steve.rieger at tbwachiat.com> wrote:

> i will be the first to admit i am stupid,
>
> RTFM
>
> man ulimit

added these three lines to custom-kernel-confg and all is groovy now

> options MAXDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)
> options MAXSSIZ=(128UL*1024*1024)
> options DFLDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)
>
> fbsd's default is 512 therefore anything over could not go.

you know that's pretty interesting. I've run into ulimit issues before with
3rd party software and socket connections. although i was under the
impression that it was the shell the software was executing the daemon
process as that needed to be tuned (in my case /bin/sh had a pretty low
network socket ulimit). I guess what I did not expect was that this is a
kernel tunable, not a shell tunable (or atleast a tunable that is set in
userspace) as I have used it in the past. so these kernel options effect all
shell's, set limit's on resources out of the shell, or something else i'm
missing? the man page for ulimit (1) is for "Shell builtin commands". Guess
I need to read up on this a bit more.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~