[nycbug-talk] gpl on /.

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Fri Sep 30 11:40:44 EDT 2005

Saw below on slashdot, this is something we need to be up to speed on.
 All you web developers out there need to add in time for licence
review on your projects, if you use any 3rd party lib, ouch.

 Vicissidude writes "At present, companies that distribute
GPL-licensed software must make the source code publicly available,
including any modifications they've made. Though the rule covers many
businesses that use GPL-licensed software for commercial ends, it
doesn't cover Web companies that use such software to offer their
services through the Web, as they're not actually distributing the
software. GPL 3, the next version of the free software license, a
draft of which is expected to be released in early 2006, may close
this loophole, GPL author and Free Software Foundation head Richard
Stallman said in an interview."

interview link http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5884172.html

marc

--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that