[nycbug-talk] gpl on /.

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Fri Sep 30 14:50:40 EDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Hubert Feyrer <hubert at feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> > Saw below on slashdot, this is something we need to be up to speed on.
> > All you web developers out there need to add in time for licence
> > review on your projects, if you use any 3rd party lib, ouch.
>
> GPL is all about this "freedom" thing, I doubt that can (or should!) be
> changed.

GPL in not about freedom or free software, I have looked up free in
several dictionaries and there has *NEVER* been a definition that
fit(from previous thread, not here).  The FSF lie about the free and
freedom part by coming up with there own private definition that does
not exist anywhere else.

> It's software developers who blindly put their code under the GPL who need
> LARTing.

Well that is true, ignorance and group think are a major pain in the ass.

My point was that now is a good time to start tracking any
libs/products that you use for licence issues, and anything that they
use etc. until you run out of dependencies.  So you can figure out
what you *CAN* safely deliver to a client.  The last thing you want to
see happen is even the credible threat of a lawsuit because of
technology decisions you made.

It may also be a good time to start education the people who write the
libs you use to deliver products that the gpl3 could be bade from the
POV of people using/not forking  there project.

marc

--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that