[nycbug-talk] gpl on /.

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Fri Sep 30 16:31:28 EDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Hubert Feyrer <hubert at feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> >> GPL is all about this "freedom" thing, I doubt that can (or should!) be
> >> changed.
> >
> > GPL in not about freedom or free software, I have looked up free in
> > several dictionaries and there has *NEVER* been a definition that
> > fit(from previous thread, not here).  The FSF lie about the free and
> > freedom part by coming up with there own private definition that does
> > not exist anywhere else.
>
> That's why I put the term in quotes, and probably always will when it
> comes to the FSF/GPL's view on that term.

A bit to subtle for me, missed the significance of the "".

> > My point was that now is a good time to start tracking any
> > libs/products that you use for licence issues, and anything that they
> > use etc. until you run out of dependencies.  So you can figure out
> > what you *CAN* safely deliver to a client.  The last thing you want to
> > see happen is even the credible threat of a lawsuit because of
> > technology decisions you made.
> >
> > It may also be a good time to start education the people who write the
> > libs you use to deliver products that the gpl3 could be bade from the
> > POV of people using/not forking  there project.
>
> Yep!
>
> At last year's Chaos Communications Congress in Berlin, I basically read
> the GPL to 200 people. It was on one side interesting to see how
> interested they ware, and scary on the other side seeing that they still
> didn't get the "you have to release your modified sources" even after
> that.

People hear/read what they want to when reading a document.

But at least that is a managed, should be well known by now, problem.

But the idea that you must publish a link to download your entire site
if you use a gpl3 lib needs to get out.

marc

--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that