[nycbug-talk] Make a jail quickly

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Apr 5 15:48:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Marco Scoffier wrote:

> I saw ezjail, but it seemed to be more geared towards setting up
> multiple jails sharing the same code base.  Anyway I'm "make
> buildworld"-ing.  It just seemed surprising that I couldn't simply untar the
> distribution sets in /jails ...  Probably can I'll test it someday.

Just a quick FYI, if you've already done the buildworld step (likely to
keep the box up to date with security issues and the like), you can skip
the buildworld.  In other words instead of:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld DESTDIR=/jails/jail1

You can:

make installworld DESTDIR=/jails/jail1

I would imagine that with some fiddling you could unpack binaries.  I
haven't even thought of that since all the boxes I've been jailing (and
I've been doing it ALL OVER lately, the bug has bit me) have been
reasonably fast...

Charles