[nycbug-talk] breaking up a big cisco

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Tue Apr 11 17:02:09 EDT 2006

Hello N.J.,

On Apr 11, 2006, at 4:48 PM, N.J. Thomas wrote:

> Another thing I am worried about is the whether or not the 2821 router
> can handle 3 carriers. Our traffic needs are fairly low, our Tier 1
> carriers are both 5Mbit burstable, and we rarely go above 15Mbit
> during
> peak times. We'd be adding another carrier only for redundancy, not
> for
> the bandwidth. However, because we are an ASN running BGP, I'm not
> sure
> if the 2821 router would be constrained by memory limitations.

Before I (or anyone else) blabs too much on the topic, I noted that
your original email doesn't mention CARP (or Cisco's VRRP) as a tool
for providing redundancy.

Is there any reason why you want/need to stick to Cisco gear?

--
With a decent budget, and a decent amount of rackspace (let's say
6u), is it out of the scope of reason to run OpenBSD on new X86

CARP and OpenBGPD are ostensibly designed explicitly to suit your needs.

The hardware used could be comoddoty X86 gear, and if your
uncomfortable cramming too many nics into the boxes, you could use
inexpensive (therefore easily replaceable) dumb switches to feed the
servers.

You could therefore fit 2 1u switches (perhaps with 48 ports each)
and 4 1u servers, (quad ethernet nics in each) into the same
rackspace, for a pretty good price- and maintain extreme transparent
redundancy, (as well as many other benefits from using OpenBSD on
your perimeter).

--
Here's a basic document about using CARP, if it helps:

http://www.countersiege.com/doc/pfsync-carp/

Best,
.ike