[nycbug-talk] breaking up a big cisco

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Tue Apr 11 17:22:36 EDT 2006

* Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> [2006-04-11 17:02:09 -0400]:
> I noted that  your original email doesn't mention CARP (or Cisco's
> VRRP) as a tool for providing redundancy.

That provides for router redudancy.

> Is there any reason why you want/need to stick to Cisco gear?
>
> CARP and OpenBGPD are ostensibly designed explicitly to suit your
> needs.

Believe it or not, I had looked at OpenBGPD/OpenBSD as our first choice
for the whole setup (we are actually a FreeBSD house, but OpenBGPD on
FreeBSD wasn't an official port), but in this case the powers that be
dictated that we had to use Cisco gear. =-(

Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas
njt at ayvali.org