[nycbug-talk] Shell Newbie

Mikel King mikel.king at ocsny.com
Wed Apr 12 10:19:12 EDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Huy Ton That wrote:

> Hey all, I've always used the bash shell and wanted to get into
> some shell scripting.  Before I started, I curious to see if anyone
> had any feedback as far as other shells are out there and just get
> a feel for the general preference if any exists; speaking purely
> for flexibility.

hi Huy,

	You are free to shell anyway you please. Truthfully it all depends
on which OS you are planing on using, and what your desired end user
is. If you are using BSD general tcsh is a good choice as it is
default on many systems therefore, you would not need to add anything
else after a fresh install. That being said, if you have to install
libraries os other applications to support your scripts then what is
the trouble with adding another (the shell itself)? Of course if your
into some advanced scripting your could go php5-cli, tcl, python,
ruby, or perl. The list is pretty much endless...

	If you are are an uber-portability freak then stick with sh, as just
about every UNIX/LINUX system has it. Anyway there's a nickel, I'm
sure others will chime in.

Cheers,
Mikel