[nycbug-talk] time you spend in your tasks

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 21:29:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:34:41PM -0400, Isaac Levy wrote:
> Hi David, All,
>
> On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:23 PM, N.J. Thomas wrote:
>
> >* David Rio Deiros <driodeiros at gmail.com> [2006-04-13 11:11:32 -0700]:
> >>- how do you track your hours? what software do you use?
> >>- do you know any open source software I should evaluate?
> >
> >We are evaluating time-tracking packages for work. What we've come up
> >with so far:
> >
> >    - some people in our office use RT, which has a basic "time
> >worked"
> >      and "time left" field for each ticket -- no one that I know uses
> >      this feature however (time tracking is not RT's primary
> >function)
>
> I've used RT extensively in the past and came to loathe it.
> Thing is, I loathed the tasks surrounding *what* we used RT for, not
> the software itself- a syndrome that seems to be common with software
> of this type.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

I agree with Isaac. Same thing happends to me.

I may implement something myself. And that leads me to:

As I said I would like to be able to use the tracking system from the shell
(bash in my case). Bash has a feature (and most other shells) that allows
you to use the tab key to iterate over a list of "objects" depending the context
where you are. I don't know if there is any way to tell bash to add more
lists/objects. Example:

$ track_time project_name task <hit enter>
/*
 * The system would launch the proper actions when you hit enter.
 * here also you could iterate over all the projects and tasks for
 * every project
 */

Probably the only way to do it is patching the bash shell itself.
Which is, IMHO, an interesting project.

Adding this to bash not only would be useful to interact with the time
tracking system but with other type of applications. The patch would also
allow bash to extend the object-iteration list over new applications via
the .bashrc. Does this maybe already exist?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
David