[nycbug-talk] BSD on the <$100 laptop?

Patrick Tracanelli eksffa at freebsdbrasil.com.br
Fri Apr 14 05:10:40 EDT 2006

If it gets to be Open Source (Linux or BSD) what do you think about the
GUI enviroment? Will it end up on Xorg? And what about the applications?

Lets think of a project, we have 128MB RAM and 512MB on Flash Card, what
would you add to this system?

Maybe we can set a experimental system before the OLPC hardware is
ready. I have access to this kind of hardware:

http://www.fic.com.br/img/FIC.jpg
http://www.fic.com.br/img/Thin_Traseira2.jpg

Its specification:

Processor: AMD Geode 266MHz single chip
Board Chipset: National Semiconductors SC2200
Memory: 128 DRAM
Storage: any Flash (I can test with a 512MB one just like OLPC proposes)
Video: SVGA 4MB 640 x 480 / 800 x 600 / 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz / 72Hz (I am
not sure about the chipset yet, probably sis.
Audio: LM 4546
Onboard LAN: National DP83815 / DP83816

It is somehow similar to OLPC's hardware specs. But, what would we put
in there? Which office applications? I dont think 128 is good for
OpenOffice plus the system, plus XOrg, etc...

Would we have the software options good enough to this on the open
source world? Which ones would it be? mplayer? :/ xmms? o_O, well
well... this would be a tricky exercise...

--
Patrick Tracanelli

FreeBSD Brasil LTDA.
(31) 3281-9633 / 3281-3547