[nycbug-talk] breaking up a big cisco

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Apr 14 13:45:48 EDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, N.J. Thomas wrote:

> * <alex at pilosoft.com> [2006-04-11 17:26:53 -0400]:
> > * what supervisor do you have on 6506.
>
> WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE =-(
Which MSFC is it? MSFC1/PFC1 or MSFC2? Even sup1 with msfc2 is still
acceptable. I would probably advise to buy a 6506 with sup2.

Best-case performance of 2821 (theoretical limit) is 170kpps.
Practically, roughly 25kpps with some services enabled. You should be good
doing ~20mbit through it, as long as its not a ddos trafic.

compare with:

msfc1/pfc1 is wire-rate (15mpps) as long as you don't exceed
the TCAM size. (In other words, as long as its not ddos traffic).

msfc2 is wire-rate, period.

> > * do you have a 'flat' network or do you have servers segmented into
> > vlans, and different IP blocks on each vlan?
>
> It's flat.
>
> > * 2821 can do 15mbps just fine, and can handle full tables fine.
>
> Just to clarify, if we transit with three 3 Tier1 ISPs:
>
>     - How big the will the full tables be?
>     - Can 2821 handle all 3?
yes, 2821 w/256M will handle 3 full tables OK.

>     - Do we need to handle full tables? (we have PA space from only one
>       of the three ISPs, the other two are for bandwidth/redundancy
>       purposes only)
You should. In case there's a partial outage of some sorts on a single
ISP, you will receive the missing routes from your other ISP.

-alex