[nycbug-talk] Raid 5 or 10 with 8 drives?

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep at belovedarctos.com
Sat Apr 15 10:21:08 EDT 2006

Francisco,

On Apr 14, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Which of the two above should perform better?
> The one with the RAID 5 has the appeal of more space but only if
> the speed
> will be comparable.

It depends on what kind of RAID card you have.  I have found some of
the cheapy dell RAID cards are built to run RAID5 fast and actually
run RAID 10 as a concatenated instead of striped config.

If you are using software I would go with RAID 10, since trying to
figure out the xor bit on RAID 5 will impact your cpu during high
disk usage.

-Bjorn