[nycbug-talk] Memory sizing

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sun Apr 23 15:07:22 EDT 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 03:33:37PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Pete Wright writes:
> >the best i'd look for info on memory utilization in freebsd would be the
> >McKusick/Neville-Neil design and implementation book.
>
> Althought that is a good long term plan I would settle for a good
> explanation of top's memory display. :-)
> I have found some, but not to the level I need.
> In short I am looking to answer "does this machine has enough memory for
> the amount of programs we are running it it.. and to leave a decent amount
> of memory for the OS to cache files".

ahh yea i usually read the man's and hit the list for quick info ;)
FWIW i also keep "systat vmstat" in my back pocket.  the UI is pretty
cluttered but it does include alot of pertinent info.

> The first thing I look at is swap. If the machine is using tens of
> megabytes from swap and you see the swap getting used frequently in top..
> that is a clear sign that machine has too many processes for the amount of
> RAM.
yea that's a good first meter for sure...

> >what is the profile on queries you are going to running against the
> >DB?
>
> I am looking to size two machines. One DB, one mail server.
> For the DB a large percent of the load will be writes. The app that will
> connect and the load programs are currently getting done and I don't have
> numbers yet.. However from the existing system (using mysql) that the new
> system will replace I see probably 90% + are writes with mostly relatively
> simple (but large) queries. Queries like "show me all the records that
> matchi this particular criteria and join a couple tables to expand codes".
>
> >are we looking at lot's of small queries,periodic quries on large
> >data set's or something in between.
>
> Lots of inserts.
> Unfrequent queries, but when they are done they will return very frequently
> large number of recores. As far as I can tell it will always be index
> access.

if you are going to be doing alot of inserts i'd focus on disk IO first,
before RAM.  RAM is "cheap" and easy to upgrade, chaning your disk
configuration during production is a bit tricker, especially if you are
not going to use a NAS or SAN for your storage device.

> >large postgres server that is going to be doing data warehousing, we are
> >thinking that we should be fine with 4gig's or RAM as we will not have
> >many concurrent connections.
>
> I am a bit undecided between going SATA or SCSI.
> To be more precise..
> SATA
> 6 400GB disks on RAID 10
> 2 hot spares
> Net usable: 1.2TB raw (before filesystem)
> 8GB RAM
> 7.2K rpm disks
>
> SCSI
> 7 150GB disks on RAID5
> 1 hot spare
> Net usable: 900GB raw (before filesystem)
> 4 GB RAM
> 10K rpm disks
>
> There is also the 10K rpm SATA drives, but I don't think RAID5 with SATA
> may be good enough.
>
> From what I am reading so far after 6 disks the performance between RAID10
> and RAID5 is simmilar.

if you have the money i'd go with 15k RPM scsi drives in a RAID 10
configuration.  and if money is really not an issue get an external JBOD
or RAID subsystem like a netapp FAS250.  otherwise get a good SCSI RAID
controller (with alot of onboard cache and a BBU).  i've had good luck
with LSI adapters, and I belive they are all SMP safe.  this should take
alot of the load of the server itself and let it deal with your TCP/IP
stack the postgres.

> >if you are going to have many people hitting this thing, then yea i'd
> >give it as much memory as practical and the fastest storage i can
> >afford.
>
> Found a link on postgresql performance and they actually claim that disk
> subsystem, them memory, then CPU is what matters.. Obviously as long as
> there is a minimal/acceptable amount of RAM to begin with.

yea, i'd really agree with this.

> >as an aside, i have another postgres DB that we are running out of a
> >memory FS.
>
> Interesting. How big is the DB?

pretty small, less than a gig.  but it is hit very heavily by several
thousand nodes 24/7 doing alot of small read/writes.

> Can't wait to the days when solid state drives become cheaper. :-)

yea eh, and reliable ;)

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~