[nycbug-talk] Memory sizing

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sun Apr 23 15:50:18 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 03:43:59PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Pete Wright writes:
>
> >if you have the money i'd go with 15k RPM scsi drives in a RAID 10
> >configuration.
>
> I am not sure we have money for 10K RPM scsi disks, much less 15K RPM. The
> issue is space.. The 300GB SCSI disks are about 4 times the cost of 7.2K
> RPM IDEs. The 10K RPM IDE Raptors only go to 150GB..
>
> I think we can either go RAID 10 with 7.2K RPM 300GB IDE or RAID 5 with 10K
> RPM 145GB disks. I am hoping raid 5 with 7 spindles, plus going to SCSI,
> would make up for using raid 5 instead of 10.

SATA drives are pretty good, we use them for some things although for
something as critical as a database i would not trust them especially if
you expecting to have frequent/large disk IO happening.  have you
looked at using graid3(8)?  this will help maximize space and speed of
your disks while providing some redundancy via a parity device.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright