[nycbug-talk] Memory sizing

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Apr 25 11:33:49 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:12:27AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Pete Wright writes:
>
> >SATA drives are pretty good, we use them for some things although for
> >something as critical as a database i would not trust them especially if
> >you expecting to have frequent/large disk IO happening.
>
> They are not too bad on RAID 10.

you can get decent performance, but i would day they are much less
reliable than SCSI disks.  esp. in a DB environment where you are going
to have alot of random seeks, read's and writes.  we get decent
throughput on long streaming I/O though...

> >looked at using graid3(8)?  this will help maximize space and speed of
> >your disks while providing some redundancy via a parity device.
>
> But isn't that software raid? At least that what it seems (just did man
> graid3). We always do hardware raid.

yep sure is, although you can implement such a scheme with a decent
hardware controller...

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~