[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 12:42:59 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I have been using mutt + fetchmail + procmail + msmtp for quite long
time (four years). Fetchmail retrieves my email using pop3 against
my a couple of servers (gmail and my work email). Procmail performs
the filtering and puts the email in the right box.

I see a problem with this configuration though: All my email is
removed from the server and is stored in my laptop, which means
I have to backup the email periodically. Also, I always have to
use my laptop to read/retrieve my email otherwise I would end up
having my emails in different places.

The logical solution seems to be IMAP. But if I use IMAP, I am going to
lose all the procmail filtering magic since the email will be
stored in the server. Am I right?

I have consider the possibility of using thunderbird but I want to keep
using mutt.

My questions are:

How can I add some ubiquity without losing the benefits of my current
configuration?

What do you guys use for reading your email?

Have a good day,

David