[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Apr 25 12:54:33 EDT 2006

> Hi there,
>
> I have been using mutt + fetchmail + procmail + msmtp for quite long
> time (four years). Fetchmail retrieves my email using pop3 against
> my a couple of servers (gmail and my work email). Procmail performs
> the filtering and puts the email in the right box.
>
> I see a problem with this configuration though: All my email is
> removed from the server and is stored in my laptop, which means
> I have to backup the email periodically. Also, I always have to
> use my laptop to read/retrieve my email otherwise I would end up
> having my emails in different places.
>
> The logical solution seems to be IMAP. But if I use IMAP, I am going to
> lose all the procmail filtering magic since the email will be
> stored in the server. Am I right?
>
> I have consider the possibility of using thunderbird but I want to keep
> using mutt.
>
> My questions are:
>
> How can I add some ubiquity without losing the benefits of my current
> configuration?

hmm...mr. google.com/bsd turns this up (first hit):

http://www.shellbang.org/freebsd/imap.html
this is untested so i'm not sure if this addresses your concerns...

there is also a filtering lang. called "sieve" that may be worth a look.
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/sieve/

google will turn up more info on how to implement this in courier or cyrus.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright