[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Tue Apr 25 17:11:27 EDT 2006

David Rio Deiros writes:

> How can I add some ubiquity without losing the benefits of my current
> configuration?

Would something like unison, a bi-directional sync program, help you?

I have 3 machines I sync with unison:
+ Home server
+ Office server/my desktop
+ Laptop

I sync more than just mail, but the mail component is like this.
Don't run fetchmail as a daemon.
Keep your mail folder in sync every time you go home.
Fetch from whichever place you want.

Only thing about this setup is that you have to be organized and not fetch
before you sync the machines.

> What do you guys use for reading your email?

Fetchmail+pine for pop3 and things I want to be able to read in my laptop
during my commute.

Cone + IMAP for everything else.

If you go the synchronization route then you can do more than just sync your
mail. I sync all my most commonly used folders to the laptop. Important
info I sync to an encrypted partition. Anything non critical I
put outside the secure partition so I don't have to bother with mounting the
encrypted partition and type a 32 character long password. :-)