[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 02:44:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:39:36PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:42:59AM -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >

> > I see a problem with this configuration though: All my email is
> > removed from the server and is stored in my laptop, which means
> > I have to backup the email periodically. Also, I always have to
> > use my laptop to read/retrieve my email otherwise I would end up
> > having my emails in different places.
> >
> > The logical solution seems to be IMAP. But if I use IMAP, I am going to
> > lose all the procmail filtering magic since the email will be
> > stored in the server. Am I right?
>
> For what it's worth, getmail enables you to use IMAP or Pop (I assume
> fetchmail does as well).  Then, I send it to maildrop (thanks Tillman,
> if you see this) which filters it.

Yes, fetchmail supports IMAP, but correct me if I am wrong, either if
you use pop or imap, fetchmail will deliver individual emails to
procmail so you lose the IMAP folders, right? You say that procmail
passes the emails to maildrop, all of them will go to the same folder
right?

> This will work with both IMAP and
> Pop.  Getmail gives you the option to remove the messages from the
> server or not and only download new messages.

Good to know. Yes I am already reviewing getmail. It looks very
promissing.

> Can't you do that with fetchmail?

Yes, but as far as I know, if you keep the emails in the server the
next time you fetch your mailbox, fetchmail will retrieve the old
ones and the new ones. At least that happend with pop.

> Then, feed the downloaded stuff to
> procmail and leave it on the server?   Or am I missing something
> obvious?

No, I am probably the one missing stuff here.

Thanks,
David