[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 02:44:25 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:09:41PM -0400, michael wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:42:59 -0700
> David Rio Deiros <driodeiros at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have been using mutt + fetchmail + procmail + msmtp for quite long
> > time (four years). Fetchmail retrieves my email using pop3 against
> > my a couple of servers (gmail and my work email). Procmail performs
> > the filtering and puts the email in the right box.
> >
> > I see a problem with this configuration though: All my email is
> > removed from the server and is stored in my laptop, which means
> > I have to backup the email periodically. Also, I always have to
> > use my laptop to read/retrieve my email otherwise I would end up
> > having my emails in different places.

Thanks all for your replies!

> While most of my mail comes directly to my domain, I also pull mail from
> multiple sources using fetchmail and gotmail.  All mail is fed thru
> procmail, sorted, and then dropped into a virtual IMAP mailbox.

Um.. can you be more precise here? I guess you, for example, filter
with procmail the emails from this mailing list, do you drop these
emails to an specific directory/folder in the mailbox? If so, how
do you do that?

> I am a believer that if you truly want to control your mail you have to
> have some level of control over the server.  If racking hardware
> in a colo is beyond your needs/means, then renting (even just a jail
> somewhere) could be in reach.

I agree. Unfortunately this is not my case at the moment. I hope to
change that soon.

Thanks again,
David