[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 02:45:55 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:39:36PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:42:59AM -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >

> > I see a problem with this configuration though: All my email is
> > removed from the server and is stored in my laptop, which means
> > I have to backup the email periodically. Also, I always have to
> > use my laptop to read/retrieve my email otherwise I would end up
> > having my emails in different places.
> >
> > The logical solution seems to be IMAP. But if I use IMAP, I am going to
> > lose all the procmail filtering magic since the email will be
> > stored in the server. Am I right?
>
> For what it's worth, getmail enables you to use IMAP or Pop (I assume
> fetchmail does as well).  Then, I send it to maildrop (thanks Tillman,
> if you see this) which filters it.  This will work with both IMAP and
> Pop.

> Getmail gives you the option to remove the messages from the
> server or not and only download new messages.

I am checking getmail.

> Can't you do that with fetchmail?  Then, feed the downloaded stuff to
> procmail and leave it on the server?   Or am I missing something
> obvious?

Let me be more specific about my current configuration:

1. fetchmail fetches email form different domains using POP
2. it passes the emails to procmail which process them and
   puts them in specific files.
   Inbox, Groups/group1, groups/group2, netbsd/users etc....
3. I use mutt to browse read the email.

I could probably instruct fetchmail to keep the emails in the
server, I may even be able to make fetchmail retrieve only
the new email (I am not so sure about this one). But the problem
is that if I use this same configuration to check my email from
another machine I am going to have my email spread in different
machines/homes.

> > What do you guys use for reading your email?
>
> My eyes.  <ducks and runs, sorry, couldn't resist>

:)

> One caveat to what I've written above is that I seldom have mail I want
> to save.  I have a special saved mbox, however, which I do back up
> periodically.

Well, In my case I just keep all my email. Mailing-list, Inbox, work,
everything.

> I hope this helps, I just have the feeling I'm missing something really
> obvious.

Yeah it helps. Thanks.

David