[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 02:46:07 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:34:55PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:42:59AM -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > The logical solution seems to be IMAP. But if I use IMAP, I am going to
> > lose all the procmail filtering magic since the email will be
> > stored in the server. Am I right?
>
> I use maildrop instead of procmail, but
> the concept is identical.

> Anyway, I filter the mail into a series of Maildirs (I'm in a NFS
> environment). Then I use an IMAP daemon that groks Maildirs and sees
> them as folders. Voila, my Apple Mail client, my Squirrelmail web mail
> app, and mutt are all in sync.

Ok.. I think this is what I was looking for... almost. Since you
have access to your server you can process your email as soon is
received by your SMTP server. This is not my case.
With this answer and the other ones I think I may have a partial
solution.

I will have to use some IMAP sync like isync as you guys suggested.

I have to email accounts: gmail and atwork.com.

1. read the email using fetcmail or getmail and then pass that
   to a filter program (probably maildrop)

2. Maildrop would filter and create maildirs depending on the
   filter rules:

   $HOME/Mail
             /gmail/maildir_inbox
             /gmail/maildir_mailinglist1
             /gmail/maildir_mailinglist2

             /atwork/maildir_inbox
             /atwork/maildir_filter1
             /atwork/maildir_filter2

3. syncronize the gmail directory against the gamil IMAP server and
   do the same with at work.

4. Fire mutt or whatever mailclient I want to read my email.

Umm... I still don't like this solution since I would have to run
steps 1-3 all the time.

David