[nycbug-talk] Introducing some ubiquity to my email configuration

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 26 06:32:03 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:44:05PM -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:39:36PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:42:59AM -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >

> > For what it's worth, getmail enables you to use IMAP or Pop (I assume
> > fetchmail does as well).  Then, I send it to maildrop (thanks Tillman,
> > if you see this) which filters it.
>
> Yes, fetchmail supports IMAP, but correct me if I am wrong, either if
> you use pop or imap, fetchmail will deliver individual emails to
> procmail so you lose the IMAP folders, right? You say that procmail
> passes the emails to maildrop, all of them will go to the same folder
> right?

Hrrm, I might have have mistyped. (I've already snipped my post and too
lazy to hit u a few times.)

Getmail will take the mail and give it to maildrop (or give it to
procmail if you prefer.)  Getmail is similar to fetchmail and maildrop
similar to procmail.

Getmail will also only get new mail, leaving old mail on the server.
Hrrm, I suppose you could do this with POP as well as IMAP.  Some of the
other solutions given seem more sophisticated.  What I had in mind was
leaving everything, unfiltered, on the server.

> > This will work with both IMAP and
> > Pop.  Getmail gives you the option to remove the messages from the
> > server or not and only download new messages.
>
> Good to know. Yes I am already reviewing getmail. It looks very
> promissing.

I have a couple of pages on it, covering simple setups (not covering
this particular situation, more quick start guides.)

http://qnd-guides.org/qnd-getmail.html

is the the quick and dirty one with links to other pages.

> > Can't you do that with fetchmail?
>
> Yes, but as far as I know, if you keep the emails in the server the
> next time you fetch your mailbox, fetchmail will retrieve the old
> ones and the new ones. At least that happend with pop.

Ok, getmail has the read_all parameter somewhere (see the examples)
which ~should~ do what you want.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Faith: You can't trust guys.
Buffy: You can trust some guys. Really, I've read about them.